Friday 26 March 2021

From My Design Table - DnD Dice bag

For my youngest daughters birthday I decided to make her a new Dice Bag.....yes a dice bag!

She's into DnD and has a few different dice sets. But let me share the story of how the bag came to be.

 It starts with an idea - you have no idea if you can pull it off or how to start or if it will work, BUT you carry on and have a go and that's what really counts, having a go. First comes a tatty looking sketch of what you want to make.

This is how everything I have ever shared with you always starts, and yes sometimes even I can't make sense of my scratty little sketches 😂
My pattern making is quite hit or miss, and a project can change several times as it goes.

I also don't own all the fancy dressmaking tools some people may have, so normal household object get drafted in as sewing tools - in this case it a an old record we inherited that was badly scratched and unplayable (yes, we still own a record-player). 
So we have an inner/outer main base plus the bottom support. Maths time, divide 360 by 7?!? no by 8 to give pocket positions. I hope I'm not underestimating how many sets of dice she has.....especially as there are two sets sitting here on my desk (they were on her wish-list from an Etsy company called Luffleberry
Pockets - I originally considered just flat ones but as I looked at the dice sets I realised depth was a must. The angles meant figuring out a shape that would hold the sets comfortably (easily get the dice in and out when required). BUT, I want each pocket to have embroidery on it, so I had to trace the pattern that I came up with onto the fabric so I could position it in my embroidery hoop.
The other two pockets were still being embroidered at this point. 
A little press with the iron before top-stitching and attached to the base
To finish the inner base I created a base circle from the outer fabric to add a little contrast. I then quilted the outer fabric.
As I was sew I kept looking over at the inner section, it occurred to me that it looked a bit like a lily-pad, so there was only one thing for it.


It needed a little frog, it was probably also in my mind because my daughter keeps putting the most adorable YouTube clip up on the telly- it's called "Coqui song" (if you get the chance click the link  and go take a peek, it's so cute)











So it was then just sewing the inner and outer together, and adding the drawstring.
Of course I couldn't resist adding a little embroidered bee to the outside.

Well, that's it for the moment. I have to go make the hubby's birthday present now. But I'll be back soon with more sharing and some news on new Scan'n'Cut videos I've been planning to make.

Hugs & Happy Thoughts
Buffy xx
(Wild_Nanna)  😉




2 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Wow and wow again! That's absolutely fabulous! I love the colours, the butterflies and that cute little frog. It's wonderful and I'm sure she love it. Great work Buffy xx

aussie aNNie said...

Wow this is amazing work Buffy, so happy I found your blog again as I had to re follow you, thanks for making that possible by commenting on mine. xxx
[I still use my fabulous dies I won from you ages ago.]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...